WoW!
Rev. Richard Skull
2010-06-15 15:52:08 UTC
GOt the e-mail from Amazon this morning telling me the CD had been
shipped and got it in the mail a few hours later!

Its playing in the Computer now.
blutarsky
2010-06-15 16:20:41 UTC
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
GOt the e-mail from Amazon this morning telling me the CD had been
shipped and got it in the mail a few hours later!
Its playing in the Computer now.
initial reaction? the first six songs plus LATER IS NOW and MARCH ON
would've made a decent EP, the other four just aren't grabbing me at all. i
think the mix is too dense/busy even on some of the good tracks.

PLEASE BABY PLEASE is probably my favorite song on here.

blutarsky
--
I swear: if I live to complete this autobiography, I will go through it
again and cross out all the 'Hi ho's.'
Hi ho.
Rev. Richard Skull
2010-06-15 17:31:40 UTC
Post by blutarsky
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
GOt the e-mail from Amazon this morning telling me the CD had been
shipped and got it in the mail a few hours later!
Its playing in the Computer now.
initial reaction? the first six songs plus LATER IS NOW and MARCH ON
would've made a decent EP, the other four just aren't grabbing me at all. i
think the mix is too dense/busy even on some of the good tracks.
PLEASE BABY PLEASE is probably my favorite song on here.
blutarsky
--
I swear: if I live to complete this autobiography, I will go through it
again and cross out all the 'Hi ho's.'
Hi ho.
I liked only 4 of the songs. I wsh Watch Us Work had been inlcuded.

DEVO was better when they had the raw sarcasm. Now its just too
preachy to make the proper "resonance" with me
blutarsky
2010-06-15 17:44:40 UTC
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
2-
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
GOt the e-mail from Amazon this morning telling me the CD had been
shipped and got it in the mail a few hours later!
Its playing in the Computer now.
initial reaction? the first six songs plus LATER IS NOW and MARCH ON
would've made a decent EP, the other four just aren't grabbing me at
all.
think the mix is too dense/busy even on some of the good tracks.
PLEASE BABY PLEASE is probably my favorite song on here.
blutarsky
--
I swear: if I live to complete this autobiography, I will go through
it again and cross out all the 'Hi ho's.'
Hi ho.
I liked only 4 of the songs. I wsh Watch Us Work had been inlcuded.
DEVO was better when they had the raw sarcasm. Now its just too
preachy to make the proper "resonance" with me
as much as it's maligned, at least SHOUT had a cohesiveness to it. and i
don't hear anything anywhere near as good as GROWING PAINS, PUPPET BOY or
even SATISFIED MIND on here.

i think NEW-TRA and OH NO! were the best (and last great) things the band
ever did.

blutarsky
Hi ho.
Rev. Richard Skull
2010-06-15 18:51:43 UTC
Post by blutarsky
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
2-
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
[...]
Hi ho.- Hide quoted text -
You noticed that the band went down when Alan left.
Just Saying.
blutarsky
2010-06-15 19:04:08 UTC
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
innews:091e90bf-f34a-42f5
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
2-
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
[...]
"the lucky ones are gonna be the first to go."

blutarsky
Hi ho.
JimmyM
2010-06-16 10:51:04 UTC
blutarsky
2010-06-16 19:01:05 UTC
Post by JimmyM
Post by blutarsky
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
innews:091e90bf-f34a-42f5
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
2-
Post by JimmyM
Post by blutarsky
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
DEVO was better when they had the raw sarcasm. Now its just too
preachy to make the proper "resonance" with me
as much as it's maligned, at least SHOUT had a cohesiveness to it.
and i don't hear anything anywhere near as good as GROWING PAINS,
PUPPET BOY or even SATISFIED MIND on here.
i think NEW-TRA and OH NO! were the best (and last great) things the
band ever did.
blutarsky
--
I swear: if I live to complete this autobiography, I will go through
it again and cross out all the 'Hi ho's.'
Hi ho.- Hide quoted text -
You noticed that the band went down when Alan left.
Just Saying.
"the lucky ones are gonna be the first to go."
i liked everything except No Place Like Home, Later Is Now and March
On.
yeah, "side two" is doing close to nothing for me.
Post by JimmyM
Please Baby Please is also quite the standout for me. The 4
tracks that Devo didn't include on the album kick ass, too. I think
it's way stronger than anything they've done since Oh No.
with so many allusions to previous songs, it comes off like a nostalgia
trip instead of a continuation. if this _is_ intended as a "comeback"
(and i don't think it is) rather than a one off, i'd call it ill-advised.
while i like the new record better than TOTAL, that doesn't say much for
it.

and i can't get past the over-production.
Post by JimmyM
Growing Pains?? Blecch!
here i've always considered it the best of the SHOUT era stuff. no
question this should have been on the album instead of wasting away as a
b-side.
Post by JimmyM
And fuck Alan. Great drummer but he was a real dick when I met him.
David Kendrick was a very nice guy but I never thought his heart was
into it. Josh's heart is into it at least. Haven't always liked his
playing in a Devo context (loved him in NIN and the Vandals), but he's
gotten a lot better in the last couple years and kicks ass now.
But the guy they should have gotten to do the album is Jeff Friedl.
That motherfucker so gets Devo it's ridiculous.
blutarsky
Hi ho.
JimmyM
2010-06-16 21:24:47 UTC
Post by blutarsky
Post by JimmyM
Please Baby Please is also quite the standout for me. The 4
tracks that Devo didn't include on the album kick ass, too. I think
it's way stronger than anything they've done since Oh No.
with so many allusions to previous songs, it comes off like a nostalgia
trip instead of a continuation. if this _is_ intended as a "comeback"
(and i don't think it is) rather than a one off, i'd call it ill-advised.
while i like the new record better than TOTAL, that doesn't say much for
it.
lol! ya, there are a lot of references to old stuff...social fools,
whip it...i see your point. don't think it affects my enjoyment of
the album too much, but i suppose it can be perceived as a look back
rather than moving forward.
Post by blutarsky
and i can't get past the over-production.
ya, i agree with you on that. the original mix of don't shoot, for
example, is cooler because it's not as over-produced.
Post by blutarsky
Post by JimmyM
Growing Pains?? Blecch!
here i've always considered it the best of the SHOUT era stuff. no
question this should have been on the album instead of wasting away as a
b-side.
different strokes, i suppose. i don't know...i don't enjoy jerry's
songs so much when he gets philosophical. probably why i didn't enjoy
the last 3 songs.

but the extra tracks are most excellent. they should have ditched
those last 3 and put the rejected tracks on it.
Gary Childs
2010-06-17 19:57:23 UTC
I think the new CD is great. You may find yourself warming up to more of the
tracks after repeated listenings.
Human Rocket is about a suicide bomber by the way.
blutarsky
2010-06-17 21:51:10 UTC
Post by Gary Childs
I think the new CD is great. You may find yourself warming up to more
of the tracks after repeated listenings.
this is how i warmed up to FRESH and DON'T SHOOT, what with them being
released way ahead of the album. i don't think i'll ever come around on
CAMEO or STEP UP.
Post by Gary Childs
Human Rocket is about a suicide bomber by the way.
the baseline reminds me of that great song by 70's "band" gerry and the
holograms (which was more or less ripped off wholesale by new order for
BLUE MONDAY).

blutarsky
Hi ho.
blutarsky
2010-06-17 21:55:38 UTC
Post by JimmyM
Post by blutarsky
Post by JimmyM
Growing Pains?? Blecch!
here i've always considered it the best of the SHOUT era stuff. no
question this should have been on the album instead of wasting away as
a b-side.
different strokes, i suppose. i don't know...i don't enjoy jerry's
songs so much when he gets philosophical. probably why i didn't enjoy
the last 3 songs.
but the extra tracks are most excellent. they should have ditched
those last 3 and put the rejected tracks on it.
sounds good. i haven't heard the extra tracks yet, not even what was in
the song study.

blutarsky
Hi ho.
Todd Spango
2010-06-21 15:39:52 UTC
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
GOt the e-mail from Amazon this morning telling me the CD had been
shipped and got it in the mail a few hours later!
Its playing in the Computer now.
I'm liking it a lot! My faves so far are Fresh (I think the
references to old Devo songs here are very witty) Human Rocket and
Something for Everybody. Comments made about production here are not
unwarranted, but for me the biggest problem is that the drums are too
prominent in the mix. That's a matter of taste but I'd like it a
little less poundy & emphatic. Overall, though, I'm pretty damn happy!
Rev. Richard Skull
2010-06-21 16:15:23 UTC
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
GOt the e-mail from Amazon this morning telling me the CD had been
shipped and got it in the mail a few hours later!
Its playing in the Computer now.
I'm liking it a lot!  My faves so far are Fresh (I think the
references to old Devo songs here are very witty) Human Rocket and
Something for Everybody.  Comments made about production here are not
unwarranted, but for me the biggest problem is that the drums are too
prominent in the mix.  That's a matter of taste but I'd like it a
little less poundy & emphatic.  Overall, though, I'm pretty damn happy!
Seem since Shout, the recording engineering and mixing of DEVO has
greatly chnaged.

More "pazazz" and "Big Noise" sound, less the "Sound of Things Falling
Apart"

So far No place like Home and March On are my least faves.

I personally think they Spuds have spent too much Time in Hollywood.
blutarsky
2010-06-21 20:52:59 UTC
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
[...]
i liked the self-fulfilling prophecy of the original wave _much_ better
than the satirical element of this new one. after spending a week with
it, i'm close to filing it away permanently.

if it had to happen, it shoulda been an EP.

blutarsky
Hi ho.
JimmyM
2010-06-21 21:09:14 UTC
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:15:23 -0700 (PDT), "Rev. Richard Skull"
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
[...]
same here. those two songs are devo for girls.

but signal ready and let's get to it are more like it, and they should
have put them on the retail release. i still love this album,
production flaws or not.