Audio quality of IZ reissues vs Japanese imports
JonYo
2004-07-16 06:47:19 UTC
Hey spuds -

Here's a question for any of you that have both the Infinite Zero
reissues (1994-1996-ish) and the older Japanese import CDs of the
records Duty Now, New Traditionalists, Oh No It's Devo, and Shout.
Which do you think sounds better? I guess it's hard to say for the most
part. I've found that Japanese CDs are often very good quality,
especially compared to US CDs on stuff that came out way before CD days,
and they did come out waaaay before these albums were available on CD
anywhere else. The IZ reissues don't appear to be "remastered" in any
way, but they are newer. The only thing that stands out for me is that
the Japanese import CD sounds better on Shout, at least at the beginning
of the title track, where there seems to be a slight crackle here and
there, as if the signal were fed into the A/D converter too hot when
this was digitized. I don't know, maybe I'm imagining things. Any
thoughts?

- JonYo
andrewunix
2004-07-16 17:53:15 UTC
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 06:47:19 GMT, ***@NOmacSPAM.com suggested:
: Hey spuds -
:
[...]

I think that I read something somewhere where either Jerry or Mark stated
that the IZ reissues were of a higher quality than the currently available
imports, but I don't know about the differences between those and older
Japanese CDs, though.

I did find this:
http://www.clubdevo.com/mp_redesign/tellus.html#111901b
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
Boom
2004-07-16 20:28:04 UTC
Post by JonYo
Hey spuds -
Here's a question for any of you that have both the Infinite Zero
reissues (1994-1996-ish) and the older Japanese import CDs of the
records Duty Now, New Traditionalists, Oh No It's Devo, and Shout.
Which do you think sounds better? I guess it's hard to say for the most
part. I've found that Japanese CDs are often very good quality,
especially compared to US CDs on stuff that came out way before CD days,
and they did come out waaaay before these albums were available on CD
anywhere else.
I've got the Virgin Duty Now For the Future/New Traditionalists and
the IZ Duty Now and I'm getting New Traditionalists from Ebay. Plus
on the greatest hits/misses albums, there's songs from those albums.
There's not a whole lot of difference between any of them, but I think
the Hits/Misses tracks and the IZ tracks sound identical. The Virgin
albums sound like they might have used a copy of the masters instead
of the originals, especially New Traditionalists. Duty Now doesn't
sound too bad, but New Traditionalists is probably as horrid a CD as
I've ever heard. It sounds dull like they rolled most of the treble
off. And the packaging blows, too. I'll be interested to hear how
the IZ reissue sounds. And yes, I agree that they don't sound
remastered. If they were, they were probably remastered from the
2-track mixes, which means a little EQ here and there and not much
else.
Post by JonYo
The IZ reissues don't appear to be "remastered" in any
way, but they are newer. The only thing that stands out for me is that
the Japanese import CD sounds better on Shout, at least at the beginning
of the title track, where there seems to be a slight crackle here and
there, as if the signal were fed into the A/D converter too hot when
this was digitized. I don't know, maybe I'm imagining things. Any
thoughts?
Yeah, I heard the crackle on MP3's I downloaded of Shout and I always
thought that was the person who encoded them not checking the quality.
I don't hear it on the version from the Hits/Misses albums. So a CD
that costs over $40 on Ebay has digital crackle? Nice! Wouldn't be a
volume issue, though, since the synth line isn't too loud. It would
probably just be jitter in the transfer process that nobody caught
until it was too late.
JonYo
2004-07-17 01:50:10 UTC
Post by JonYo
[...]
I have the Virgin 2-on-1 imports on top of the Japenese issues and the
IZ reissues, and I definitely feel something is lacking soundwise on the
Virgin 2-on-1 versions...can't quite put my finger on it though.
Separate from the overall sound quality, note the little sound hiccup
(sounds like analog dropout rather than a digital problem) right in the
first few seconds of Social Fools, track 19 of the Q?A! / Devo Live
2-on-1 CD.

- JonYo
Boom
2004-07-17 02:31:39 UTC
Post by JonYo
I have the Virgin 2-on-1 imports on top of the Japenese issues and the
IZ reissues, and I definitely feel something is lacking soundwise on the
Virgin 2-on-1 versions...can't quite put my finger on it though.
Separate from the overall sound quality, note the little sound hiccup
(sounds like analog dropout rather than a digital problem) right in the
first few seconds of Social Fools, track 19 of the Q?A! / Devo Live
2-on-1 CD.
Shoot, thought I had that on MP3 from CD but I only have it from the
vinyl Stiff EP. That and Luv-Luv are the only songs from their
releases that I can't find on CD (not too concerned about Luv Luv
cause it's filler but Social Fools is a great song). Doubt I'll buy
the Virgin version for one song since you say it's not so good. Maybe
someone will post it on a newsgroup ;)

So how are the Japanese versions soundwise as compared to the IZ
reissues? Do they have the bonus tracks? Is everything from Stiff
and Warner Brothers on them? Got a URL of a website that offers them?
Will I stop asking questions now? yes.
Michael McDougall
2004-07-17 18:49:09 UTC
Post by Boom
Doubt I'll buy
the Virgin version for one song since you say it's not so good. Maybe
someone will post it on a newsgroup ;)
On completely unrelated note, post your email address or send me mail.

Michael
Ronald Cole
2004-07-18 03:32:22 UTC
Post by Boom
Post by JonYo
I have the Virgin 2-on-1 imports on top of the Japenese issues and the
IZ reissues, and I definitely feel something is lacking soundwise on the
Virgin 2-on-1 versions...can't quite put my finger on it though.
Separate from the overall sound quality, note the little sound hiccup
(sounds like analog dropout rather than a digital problem) right in the
first few seconds of Social Fools, track 19 of the Q?A! / Devo Live
2-on-1 CD.
Shoot, thought I had that on MP3 from CD but I only have it from the
vinyl Stiff EP. That and Luv-Luv are the only songs from their
releases that I can't find on CD (not too concerned about Luv Luv
cause it's filler but Social Fools is a great song). Doubt I'll buy
the Virgin version for one song since you say it's not so good. Maybe
someone will post it on a newsgroup ;)
I believe that version of Social Fools is available on another
compilation CD, although I'm in Tokyo at the moment and can't check my
CDs at home.

I bought a pristine Luv Luv on vinyl off Ebay a few years ago to
digitize, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I did do the
non-extended version of Doctor Detriot, though, with excellent
results and have posted the link to it's mp3 here before.
Ronald Cole <***@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
JonYo
2004-07-18 04:32:02 UTC
Post by Ronald Cole
Post by Boom
Post by JonYo
[...]
If I recall correctly, the only other place that version of Social Fools
appears (the version on the Virgin 2-on-1 issue of Q?A!/Devo-Live) is on
the 6-track "Be Stiff" vinyl 12inch EP and 2-track "Be Stiff" vinyl
7inch single. I don't think I've ever seen it on CD anywhere else.
It's a more "rockin" version, and not the same version that's on
Hardcore Vol 1. If this exists on CD somehwere else, I'd love to know
about it, because it would mean there's a Devo CD out there I didn't
know about and would then have to track down in my obsessive Devo
collector way!

I don't suppose the Doctor Detroit soundtrack ever went to CD did it?
If not, that means the non-extended version of the theme song never went
to CD at all I guess. I do make CDs out of my vinyl when it's stuff
that I know is never gonna make it to CD, but it's pretty tedious to do
it really carefully, so I tend to put it off...

- JonYo
Ronald Cole
2004-07-20 01:54:05 UTC
Post by JonYo
If I recall correctly, the only other place that version of Social Fools
appears (the version on the Virgin 2-on-1 issue of Q?A!/Devo-Live) is on
the 6-track "Be Stiff" vinyl 12inch EP and 2-track "Be Stiff" vinyl
7inch single. I don't think I've ever seen it on CD anywhere else.
It's a more "rockin" version, and not the same version that's on
Hardcore Vol 1. If this exists on CD somehwere else, I'd love to know
about it, because it would mean there's a Devo CD out there I didn't
know about and would then have to track down in my obsessive Devo
collector way!
You are correct. The Virgin 2fer is the compilation I was thinking
of, but I could have sworn it was on it different one. That's what I
get for having to buy and remember some 30 CDs in *my* obsessive Devo
collector way!
Post by JonYo
I don't suppose the Doctor Detroit soundtrack ever went to CD did it?
If not, that means the non-extended version of the theme song never went
to CD at all I guess. I do make CDs out of my vinyl when it's stuff
that I know is never gonna make it to CD, but it's pretty tedious to do
it really carefully, so I tend to put it off...
No, it didn't. Check out how good vinyl can sound when you take
proper care of it and use good equipment. It's a VBR mp3 encoded with
LAME 3.92 with r3mix.

<http://www.forte-intl.com/~ronald/mp3/devo/doctor_detroit/>
JonYo
2004-07-20 04:46:02 UTC
Post by JonYo
I don't suppose the Doctor Detroit soundtrack ever went to CD did it?
If not, that means the non-extended version of the theme song never went
to CD at all I guess. I do make CDs out of my vinyl when it's stuff
that I know is never gonna make it to CD, but it's pretty tedious to do
it really carefully, so I tend to put it off...
No, it didn't. Check out how good vinyl can sound when you take
proper care of it and use good equipment. It's a VBR mp3 encoded with
LAME 3.92 with r3mix.
<http://www.forte-intl.com/~ronald/mp3/devo/doctor_detroit/>
Wow, right you are, that sounds excellent. Unfortunately, my rare-ish
Devo vinyl is used stuff for the most part, so some of it wasn't
maintained with the best care before I got a hold of it. I have a great
audio input device (balanced +4 or -10 input to 24bit/96kHz [MOTU
828mk2], firewire to the computer), and some decent clean up software
(Peak and Soundsoap), but what's realy lacking is my turntable. It's
old and was pretty mid-consumer level even when it was new. With such
limited use for it now, I can't really justify spending any real money
on another turntable. I suppose I could just get a new needle. Not
sure where to get one that isn't for a new DJ-style turntable however...

- JonYo
Boom
2004-07-20 05:25:08 UTC
Post by Ronald Cole
You are correct. The Virgin 2fer is the compilation I was thinking
of, but I could have sworn it was on it different one. That's what I
get for having to buy and remember some 30 CDs in *my* obsessive Devo
collector way!
Actually, the version on the Virgin 2-fer isn't the same one on the
original vinyl Stiff EP. I have an old MP3 of it that I made years
ago but I wanted to make a newer one tonight and I'm missing one
adapter that I need. Don't know when I'll get to it now. Maybe later
this week.
Post by Ronald Cole
Post by JonYo
I don't suppose the Doctor Detroit soundtrack ever went to CD did it?
If not, that means the non-extended version of the theme song never went
to CD at all I guess. I do make CDs out of my vinyl when it's stuff
that I know is never gonna make it to CD, but it's pretty tedious to do
it really carefully, so I tend to put it off...
No, it didn't. Check out how good vinyl can sound when you take
proper care of it and use good equipment. It's a VBR mp3 encoded with
LAME 3.92 with r3mix.
<http://www.forte-intl.com/~ronald/mp3/devo/doctor_detroit/>
Yes it does sound excellent. Probably one of the best LP to digital
transfers I've heard. What did you use to get that oomph back into
it?

You should also check out this MP3 I have that someone made by taking
the long version from Pioneers and editing it down to be an exact
sonic duplicate of the original single. Devo recorded two separate
versions, but I'm telling you, I can't tell it apart from the actual
single. I'm posting an MP3 of it in alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.1980's if
you want to take a listen. It's under the heading DEVO - Doctor
Detroit Single CD version.
Ronald Cole
2004-07-21 06:51:56 UTC
Post by Boom
Post by Ronald Cole
No, it didn't. Check out how good vinyl can sound when you take
proper care of it and use good equipment. It's a VBR mp3 encoded with
LAME 3.92 with r3mix.
<http://www.forte-intl.com/~ronald/mp3/devo/doctor_detroit/>
Yes it does sound excellent. Probably one of the best LP to digital
transfers I've heard. What did you use to get that oomph back into
it?
A Radio Shack phono pre-amp. Too bad they haven't made them for years
and years, it's a really nice unit. Other than that, I didn't touch
it up at all: no re-eq or nothing.
Boom
2004-07-21 07:15:36 UTC
Post by Ronald Cole
Post by Boom
Post by Ronald Cole
<http://www.forte-intl.com/~ronald/mp3/devo/doctor_detroit/>
Yes it does sound excellent. Probably one of the best LP to digital
transfers I've heard. What did you use to get that oomph back into
it?
A Radio Shack phono pre-amp. Too bad they haven't made them for years
and years, it's a really nice unit. Other than that, I didn't touch
it up at all: no re-eq or nothing.
Nice! I might look for one of those on Ebay. You know, I bought a
receiver last Christmas and was dismayed that they have no turntable
input. And of course none of the other inputs work for a turntable.
I was going to re-record all my Devo stuff that isn't on CD and try to
clean it up with all my fancy schmancy plugins. I tried all day to
plug in different preamps and amps and stuff I had and nothing got it
to go into the computer at a level I could work with. Oh well, the
original MP3's I made of them still sound pretty decent. And the LP
version of Sloppy from the Stiff EP that I encoded sounds better than
the "re-master" on Recombo DNA.
dave
2004-07-21 14:51:10 UTC
If RS no longer sells the phono preamp, there are other manufacturers that
do.
Also, many new turntables have the preamp built in.
(My audio-technica, for example)

DNFTF,

Dave
Azrunr66
Circuit city has phono preamps for $40.00...Check in their audio accessory area
Boom
2004-07-21 19:00:31 UTC
After checking Ebay, I see you can spend as little or as much as you
want to on a phono preamp. They've got $10 ones and $2000 ones. I'm
sure the one I end up getting will skew over to the $10 side. I did
find an old Realistic phono preamp on there, though. Looks really low
budget, but it did a good job on that Dr. Detroit.
Ronald Cole
2004-07-22 06:32:27 UTC
Post by Boom
After checking Ebay, I see you can spend as little or as much as you
want to on a phono preamp. They've got $10 ones and $2000 ones. I'm
sure the one I end up getting will skew over to the $10 side. I did
find an old Realistic phono preamp on there, though. Looks really low
budget, but it did a good job on that Dr. Detroit.
It's all about the circuit design. It's hard to tell exactly how good
the amplifier is by it's price tag. I think the Realistic was $20 or
so when I bought it, and that was in 1980 dollars! To be honest, I
have no idea how good or bad the amp design in it is, I just dug it
out and it sounded pretty darn good to my ears so I used it. I
originally bought it so that I could plug my turntable into my guitar
amp in my college dorm.
Boom
2004-07-17 03:54:05 UTC
OK, this question from JonYo got me really curious about whether the
Virgin imports sounded as good as the Warner Bros. and Infinite Zero
releases, so I decided to break out my headphones and do some
comparisons. I don't claim to be a great audiophile and my equipment
is very good but not state of the art, but I've played music
professionally all my adult life and I have a pretty good ear for
anomalies. Here are my results:

New Traditionalists:
Virgin vs. WB

Songs tested: Through Being Cool, Jerkin' Back 'n' Forth, Beautiful
World, Working In A Coalmine

For the most part the only difference I heard between these versions
is that the WB versions have a slight bit of tape hiss still audible
at the beginning of each song. No biggie. The only significant
difference was in Through Being Cool. The stereo mix was a lot more
separated on the WB version than the Virgin version. But on the rest
of the songs tested, they sounded identical.

Duty Now For The Future
Virgin vs WB vs Infinite Zero

Songs tested: SIB, Pink Pussycat, The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprize,
Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA

No comparison here. The Infinite Zero album sounds a LOT better than
the WB and Virgin releases, which sound identical once again. It does
sound like a full remaster. It sounded less compressed, the bass drum
was fatter and the hi-hat sparkled more and had a vibrancy that wasn't
in the WB or Virgin CD's.

Oh No, It's DEVO
WB vs Infinite Zero

Songs tested: Peek-A-Boo!, That's Good, Big Mess

Again, the Infinite Zero release totally blows away the WB. What I
said about the sounds on Duty Now goes double for Oh No. That's Good
especially benefits. On the WB CD, these songs sound flat, and on the
IZ CD, they're anything but.

Do the Virgin and WB CD's sound bad? Not at all. They sound good.
However, the IZ reissues really went the extra mile sonically. Which
makes me really glad I finally will be getting New Traditionalists
soon. And all I need is Shout to complete my collection...but I'm not
going to pay $40 for it! Actually, I'm waiting for some good soul to
torrent it in FLAC format and then I won't have to get hosed on Ebay.
Till then I have decent quality MP3's, so I guess that's something.

So bottom line, IZ sounds best, WB has a slight edge over Virgin.
Boom
2004-07-17 05:16:57 UTC
Also, I take back what I said in an earlier thread about the IZ and WB
CD's. Clearly, the IZ's sound much better that I originally thought.
It never ceases to amaze me how much extra stuff you hear when you put
the phones on.
JonYo

Boom
2004-07-18 03:08:21 UTC
Update:

I got the Infinite Zero version of New Traditionalists today, and so
naturally the first thing I did was compare its tracks to the WB and
Virgin tracks. And of course, the IZ version sounded 1000% better,
and they even managed to take a layer of mud off of the high end.

But here's a funny thing...remember when I said I thought that the
stereo field in "Through Being Cool" was farther apart than the Virgin
version? Well turns out I was slightly wrong. The WB version has
reversed channels! I took the IZ version and reversed the channels in
a music editing program and then it sounded just like the WB version.
So you all who have the Greatest Hits album on WB, when Through Being
Cool comes on, swap your speakers around and then you'll be able to
hear it properly ;)

Now I'm wondering if we're not getting hosed mixwise on the two albums
WB still puts out on their own, Are We Not Men and Freedom of Choice.
Eh, we probably are. Those IZ reissues rule.
Boom
2004-07-21 00:57:01 UTC
Dang, recording from a turntable was a lot easier back in the day. My
new receiver doesn't have a turntable jack, my old receiver got blown
by lightning, and my mic preamp doesn't bring the signal up enough to
record without a lot of noise. Well, unless I can think of an
alternative, I'm screwed for making new copies of those Devo songs not
on CD.
andrewunix
2004-07-18 00:23:13 UTC
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:28:04 GMT, ***@nnn.com suggested:
: the IZ reissue sounds. And yes, I agree that they don't sound
: remastered. If they were, they were probably remastered from the
: 2-track mixes, which means a little EQ here and there and not much
: else.

Well, what do you think 'remastered' means? If it wasn't from the original
mixes, it would be 'remixed', too. ;)

Most of the 'remastered' recordings I've heard over the last few years,
they just re-EQ it and overcompress it so that it sounds like a modern
release, i.e. terrible.
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
Boom
2004-07-17 19:18:31 UTC
***@aol.com
Boom
2004-07-18 01:55:03 UTC
Post by andrewunix
: remastered. If they were, they were probably remastered from the
: 2-track mixes, which means a little EQ here and there and not much
: else.
Well, what do you think 'remastered' means? If it wasn't from the original
mixes, it would be 'remixed', too. ;)
Right you are. Brain fart.
Post by andrewunix
Most of the 'remastered' recordings I've heard over the last few years,
they just re-EQ it and overcompress it so that it sounds like a modern
release, i.e. terrible.
The IZ reissues were re-Eq'd but I think they took off a layer of
compression with an expander. They sound a lot less compressed than
the Virgin and WB counterparts.