Hardcore Vol 1 recording dates
Frank Einstein
2003-09-28 05:57:21 UTC
In the liner notes for Hardcore Vol 2, the years the recordings were made
are given after the writing credit. I have the limited edition foldout
version of Vol 1 (which is now fallen apart), and I know that the liner
notes differ, at least slightly, from the standard edition. I was just
wondering if the standard edition gave the years, cuz I'm sorta anal
retentive like that.

¡Alex!
G Yanez
2003-09-28 09:01:31 UTC
hmm,.......you mention both hardcore cds in your post and headline.

The regular issue only has 5 dates on the 1st,.....

and the 2nd,......does list the dates on all songs.

Dont worry about being anal,.....its like Booji said,......." Oh, dad,
we're all anal,......"

gil
Jeff Rice
2003-09-28 23:59:31 UTC
I have the standard edition of Hardcore Vol. 1, and it only features
copyright dates-- not actual recording dates. For example, Space Girl
Blues is copyrighted 1977, but it's pretty obvious that it was
recorded before Alan Myers joined, which would put the recording date
in 1976 or earlier. I've been wondering about the recording dates for
years. I think I remember reading that the first 4 tracks on Hardcore
Vol. 1 were recorded in 1975, but I don't know where I read that. All
it says on the standard version is "Vintage basement 4-track
recordings made by Devo in Akron, Ohio between April 1974 and December
1977."
¡Alex!
Artsites
2003-09-29 17:33:16 UTC
Hi, Jeff...

Thanks for you DEVObook.com order. As you'll soon read, several of these
"vintage basement 4-track recordings" were actually done at proper recording
studios in Cleveland and at a place called Krieger-Field. Some of the Hardcore
material (like "The Rope Song") had also been recorded as early as 1969 or '70
in Kent, Ohio at DayHo Electronics with a proto-DEVO group including Gerry
Casale, Peter Gregg, Greg Kannel, Bob Casale and Bob Lewis. GVC still has the
acetate...

I look forward to your thoughts on the book.

Best,

Jade (***@DEVObook.com)
Jeff Rice
2003-10-01 17:24:12 UTC
Thanks for the info, Jade... Now that you mention it, some of those
recordings sound a little too slick to be basement tapes. And I always
thought that "Fountain of Filth" and "Working in a Coalmine" sounded
suspiciously more like Duty Now/FOC era outtakes than 1977
recordings...Needless to say, I can't wait to read the book.

Jeff
Best,
jt
2003-11-06 23:04:10 UTC
Post by Jeff Rice
Now that you mention it, some of those
recordings sound a little too slick to be basement tapes. And I always
thought that "Fountain of Filth" and "Working in a Coalmine" sounded
suspiciously more like Duty Now/FOC era outtakes than 1977
recordings...
Yeah, Fountain of Filth does sound a LOT like it is from FOC.
My theory has always been that this was a demo they recorded on their
own dime (as opposed to Warner Bros $$$), and it (in a finished
version) didn't make it to FOC. We know Devo did a lot of FOC era
demos, since the rest of these demos ended up on Rhino's Recombo DNA.
I think FOF is from the same demos as the Recombo stuff. Dates on the
Hardocre CD liner notes have been, shall we say, fudged, in order to
avoid lawsuits.
Jeff Rice
2003-11-07 09:17:27 UTC
That's what I was thinking...My suspicions were pretty much confirmed when
I read an interview where Mark or Jerry mentioned that "Working in a
Coalmine" was originally a FOC demo. "Fountain of Filth" sounds like it's
from that same session and they both ended up on Hardcore Vol. 2...They
can fudge all the recording dates they want as long as the songs are as
good as those two! It would have been a shame if contractual obligations
had made us wait another 10 years to hear "Fountain of Filth" as a track
on Recombo DNA.

I think that "Fountain of Filth" did sort of make it onto FOC in the form
of "Ton o' Luv"-- they're very similar tracks, although I prefer "FOF".

On the subject of demos, I wonder if "Nutty Buddy" or "Those Darn Girls"
were ever recorded in a studio.