Who should Devo cover? Who should cover Devo?
Electro Robo Boogie Bot
2004-11-14 21:45:24 UTC
I still wish Devo would do a mix album of some of their hits and misses,
extending, morphing and twisting some of their classics into a new mutant
millenium update like only Devo could do it. Until that day arrives, I can only
dream.
Which brings me to my point. While daydreaming on the above mentioned Devo
dream project, I pondered over some songs by other bands that I thought would
be great if Devo had done a mutated version of, the following are a few of my
picks...

I'm Bored - Iggy Pop
It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna' Rock N' Roll) AC/DC
I'm Your Boogie Man - KC & The Sunshine Band
Takin' Care Of Business - Bachman Turner Overdrive
Imagine - John Lennon
Stayin' Alive - The Bee Gees

Then I got to thinking about what artists I would like to see cover Devo, and
here's a few of what I came up with...

Whip It - Fatboy Slim
Triumph Of The Will - Tom Jones
Going Under - The Hives
Explosions - The Chemical Brothers
Snowball - Britney Spears
Girl U Want - Smash Mouth

Okay now, let's hear some of your ideas, gang.

"I hear the battlecry of the holy masses. I see the White House reflecting in
the T-800's sunglasses. And I think to myself, what a wiggly world."
Franz Pernicious
2004-11-15 04:06:53 UTC
Post by Electro Robo Boogie Bot
Okay now, let's hear some of your ideas, gang.
Who should DEVO cover?

Stan Kenton - La Suerte de los Tontos
(with newly-written lyrics, sung by Booji)

Haun Melee, a traditional Egyption song
(download MP3 here:)
http://www.el-bakkar.com/music/PortSaid/07_Haun_Meelee.mp3

No More Night
(A treacly gospel song by the Gaithers with the wasted vocal talents of
David Phelps, who should be singing stuff like vintage KANSAS and ELP
and not this mass-market god poo)

The STINGRAY theme song, from the 1960s TV puppet show.

Lots more, but you get the idea.

Who should cover DEVO?

Everybody.

____________________
Pank Franucci
www.frankpanucci.com
Electro Robo Boogie Bot
2004-11-17 16:12:24 UTC
Post by Franz Pernicious
Who should cover DEVO?
Everybody.
Everybody? Never heard of that band before. What do they do? Rock, Rap,
Country?

What beer do you think Darth Vader drinks? - Actual newsgroup thread title
Franz Pernicious
2004-11-18 00:47:41 UTC
Post by Electro Robo Boogie Bot
What beer do you think Darth Vader drinks?
Milwaukee's Best Ice. 24 pack for $8.99. Darth can make the can float
accross the room and open itself, but he has to have a Sith nurse pour
the beer down his medical neck tube.

____________________
www.frankpanucci.com
Matt Duane Griffin
2004-11-18 03:02:21 UTC
Nah, Darth drinks everclear in the below-described method, and is able
to banish the effects of alcohol by force of will (with the help of
little nanobots in his bloodstream.)
www.frankpanucci.com
Franz Pernicious
2004-11-18 14:27:07 UTC
Nah, Darth drinks everclear and is able
to banish the effects of alcohol by force of will (with the help of
little nanobots in his bloodstream.)
Oh yes! I forgot about the mitoclitorises. They're like a thousand
tiny women urging your fingers to let go.

____________________
www.frankpanucci.com
Matt Duane Griffin
Well, if it makes you happy, then I'm glad I could remind you.
Electro Robo Boogie Bot
2004-11-18 16:20:09 UTC
Post by Franz Pernicious
Milwaukee's Best Ice. 24 pack for $8.99. Darth can make the can float
accross the room and open itself, but he has to have a Sith nurse pour
the beer down his medical neck tube.
All I know is that I was at this party once, and Vader had clearly had a little
too much to drink and he tried to get another mug of beer and the tap was dry,
then he starts remote strangling the host and babbling, "I find your lack of
Beer disturbing!". It took a dozen people to pull him off the poor guy. Talk
about a major buzzkill.

What beer do you think Darth Vader drinks? - Actual newsgroup thread title
Franz Pernicious
2004-11-18 16:40:18 UTC
Post by Electro Robo Boogie Bot
Vader had clearly had a little
too much to drink and he tried to get another mug of beer and the tap was dry,
then he starts remote strangling the host and babbling, "I find your lack of
Beer disturbing!"
Yeah - and the saddest thing was that Vader was lurking around the whole
night, obviously waiting for the perfect moment to say that clever line,
which he thought of earlier at the Target when he was marking down
"designer lamps" again. You can get a pretty cool wonky lamp there for
about $3 now. It looks a little weird, but it's cheap. Those halogen
bulbs make me nervous, though. I hear they can blow up and shower you
in the face with tiny pieces of glass going a million miles an hour.

____________________
www.frankpanucci.com
Stiiv
2004-11-18 20:57:43 UTC
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:40:18 GMT, Franz Pernicious
Post by Franz Pernicious
I hear they can blow up and shower you
in the face with tiny pieces of glass going a million miles an hour.
Hence the black mask. He ain't purty no more.

Stiiv

http://www.stiiv.com
Franz Pernicious
2004-11-18 21:08:52 UTC
Post by Stiiv
Post by Franz Pernicious
I hear they can blow up and shower you
in the face with tiny pieces of glass going a million miles an hour.
Hence the black mask. He ain't purty no more.
He got a HELLRAISER FACIAL.

Look for it in your dairy case.

____________________
www.frankpanucci.com
Matt Duane Griffin
2004-11-18 22:17:13 UTC
Post by Franz Pernicious
Post by Electro Robo Boogie Bot
Vader had clearly had a little
too much to drink and he tried to get another mug of beer and the tap was dry,
then he starts remote strangling the host and babbling, "I find your lack of
Beer disturbing!"
Yeah - and the saddest thing was that Vader was lurking around the whole
night, obviously waiting for the perfect moment to say that clever line,
which he thought of earlier at the Target when he was marking down
"designer lamps" again. You can get a pretty cool wonky lamp there for
about $3 now. It looks a little weird, but it's cheap. Those halogen
bulbs make me nervous, though. I hear they can blow up and shower you
in the face with tiny pieces of glass going a million miles an hour.
____________________
www.frankpanucci.com
Do not touch the glass. The natural oils from your filthy disgusting
body will cause the bulb to explode.
Electro Robo Boogie Bot
2004-11-19 16:23:15 UTC
Post by Franz Pernicious
Yeah - and the saddest thing was that Vader was lurking around the whole
night, obviously waiting for the perfect moment to say that clever line,
That's why I'll never party with the guy again. He's a jerk. Now Yoda, there's
a dude who knows how to party!

Is Godzilla a ninja or a samurai or a sumo ???? - Actual newsgroup thread title
Rev. Richard Skull
2004-11-20 16:32:04 UTC
Post by Electro Robo Boogie Bot
Is Godzilla a ninja or a samurai or a sumo ???? - Actual newsgroup thread title
Godzilla is Jewish.

MSHOTZ: The Post Post Modern Man

"War hath no Fury like a non-combatants"

Charles E. Montague

Matt Duane Griffin
2004-11-18 22:47:29 UTC
Electro Robo Boogie Bot wrote:
major buzzkill.
wasn't that a silver age EC title?
Gary Childs
2004-11-19 00:35:05 UTC
Post by Electro Robo Boogie Bot
major buzzkill.
wasn't that a silver age EC title?
EC Comics quit publishing comic books by the dawn of the silver age.
Their comic book line was a casualty of the "Seduction Of The Innocent"
comic book witchhunt of the 1950's.
Major Buzzkill was a villian that was rejected and never made it into Marvel
Comics' "Tales Of Suspense" #100.
Rev. Richard Skull
2004-11-15 22:52:20 UTC
Post by Electro Robo Boogie Bot
I pondered over some songs by other bands that I thought would
be great if Devo had done a mutated version of, the following are a few of my
picks...
Anything by Johnny Cash
Post by Electro Robo Boogie Bot
Then I got to thinking about what artists I would like to see cover Devo, and
here's a few of what I came up with...
Lee Ann Rymes doing "Words Get Stuck In my Throat"
Le Tigre doing "Pink Pussycat" or "Girl U Want"

Green Day doing "Triumph of Will"

Charles E. Montague
Electro Robo Boogie Bot
2004-11-17 16:14:57 UTC
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
Green Day doing "Triumph of Will"
This would sound pretty cool I think.

What beer do you think Darth Vader drinks? - Actual newsgroup thread title
Matt Duane Griffin
2004-11-17 16:34:19 UTC
The Devo Bluegrass Album

(disc 1)

Devo Plays Bluegrass

1.) Walk On Boy (Mel Tillis/Wayne P. Walker)
2.) Satan is Real (Ira and Charlie Louvin)
3.) Peg and Awl (Public Domain)
4.) Better Things For You (T. Roberts)
5.) The Coo Coo Bird (Public Domain)
6.) In the Pines (Public Domain)
7.) Backstep Cindy (Public Domain)
8.) Did You Ever See the Devil Uncle Joe (Public Domain)
9.) Darlin' Corey (Public Domain)
10.) Trouble, I've Had It All My Days (John Hurt)
11.) Working on a Building (A. P. Carter)
12.) There's a Man Going Around Taking Names (H. Ledbetter)

(disc 2)

Bluegrass Plays Devo.

1.) Slap Your Mammy -- Danny Barnes
2.) The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprise -- Alison Krauss and Union Station
3.) Beautiful World -- Hazel Dickens
4.) Snowball -- Matt Duane Griffin and the Clementine String Band
5.) Planet Earth -- The Del McCoury Band
6.) Strange Pursuit -- Dixie Chicks
7.) Space Junk -- Holy Modal Rounders
8.) Be Stiff -- Rhonda Vincent and the Rage
9.) Gates of Steel -- Audie Blaylock and Red Line
10.) Mongoloid -- Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys
11.) S. I. B. -- Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder
12.) Going Under -- The Resophonics
Electro Robo Boogie Bot
2004-11-18 16:09:33 UTC
Post by Matt Duane Griffin
The Devo Bluegrass Album
Ooh, I got the perfect title for it... Devo Ho Down.

What beer do you think Darth Vader drinks? - Actual newsgroup thread title
Matt Duane Griffin
Dance all night, dance a little longer. Make those mutant genes grow stronger.
Rich Anderson
2004-11-17 23:09:50 UTC
Polysics have already covered Devo twice, or three times, technically.

First, a cover of Social Fools on the Live in Japan album. This album also
has a cover of Secret Agent Man done in a Devo style

On the XCT EP, they covered Jerkin' Back And Forth in a very cool, jazzy,
slow style with vocoder vocals.

I'd like to see 'em tackle Uncontrollable Urge, though.
Ali Assa Seen
2004-11-18 12:38:44 UTC
Post by Electro Robo Boogie Bot
I got to thinking about what artists I would like to see cover Devo, and
here's a few of what I came up with...
Whip It - Fatboy Slim
It would have to be better than Moby's version. I don't know what he was thinking...

- Dr Strangemonde
Electro Robo Boogie Bot
2004-11-18 16:11:43 UTC
Post by Ali Assa Seen
It would have to be better than Moby's version. I don't know what he was thinking...
- Dr Strangemonde
Not that I'm a big Moby fan but I didn't know he did a version of Whip It? I'll
have to check it out.

What beer do you think Darth Vader drinks? - Actual newsgroup thread title
Gary Childs
2004-11-18 20:33:26 UTC
I have an Mp3 of it. It's death metal, and it's bad.
Matt Duane Griffin
But think about it man, we are all made of stars. You know, like feng shui.
Gary Childs
2004-11-19 00:37:29 UTC
Post by Matt Duane Griffin
But think about it man, we are all made of stars. You know, like feng shui.
....and then an Eminem fan punched him in the face and ran.....