DEVO value
Ryan
2004-03-05 02:34:24 UTC
Why does DEVO merchandise go for so little? I always thought DEVO was
very user friendly and had a good following. I mean, the most i've
EVER seen something go for was the laserdisc, about 4 years ago on
ebay, for $200. I got mine for $80. But then i look at first pressing
Residents releases, who are MUCH harder on the ear, going for close to
$6000. Any of the limited release Residents stuff goes for NO less
than $150, usually around $210. I would NEVER have guessed there being
more of a demand for Residents stuff than DEVO merch. I guess I'm just
lucky I get all my Rez stuff free and unnumbered! Yay Ralph America!

Doody Now--

Ryan
Gary Childs
2004-03-05 04:00:39 UTC
Post by Ryan
Why does DEVO merchandise go for so little?
Depends on what the item is. An item must be hard-to-find to fetch a good
price.
Post by Ryan
I always thought DEVO was very user friendly and had a good following.
A cult following.
Post by Ryan
the most i've EVER seen something go for was the laserdisc, about 4 years
ago on ebay, for $200.

Then there's much you have not seen. What about the Devo neon sign? What
about the bootleg videos, and bootleg CDs that went for insane prices a few
years back?
Post by Ryan
I got mine for $80.
The DVDs will kill the prices for the LDs.
Post by Ryan
But then i look at first pressing Residents releases, who are MUCH harder
on the ear, going for close to $6000. Any of the limited release Residents
stuff goes for NO less than $150, usually around $210.

Ahhhh, there's your answer - "limited release"! The Residents intentionally
create a massive secondary market by limiting production of their output. As
Devo once said: "It's just supply and demand". The only limited release of
new material that Devo did was "Recombo DNA", and that was 5000 copies. That
would be a huge amount by Residents standards.
Post by Ryan
I would NEVER have guessed there being more of a demand for Residents
stuff than DEVO merch.

There isn't more demand for the Residents. There's just a smaller supply of
Residents stuff. Devo was more mass produced.
Post by Ryan
I guess I'm just lucky I get all my Rez stuff free and unnumbered!
Free? How do you do that? Numbered stuff is better for the collecter in
terms of secondary value, though.

There isn't very much Devo stuff that is rare. Most things had a huge run.
The Residents have things with a run of a couple hundred. The smallest run
for a Devo CD is 5000 copies. When a Devo CD goes out of print, the price
will go up, but not as much as a Residents CD that has a print run of 300 to
500 copies. A Devo Red Pomp is pretty rare, but try to find one.

I have most stuff by the Residents (except maybe for the last few years),
and guess what? Just about every version of every Residents CD I own is
out-of-print! They planned it that way right from the start. They exist in a
small market, but they are brilliant marketers. They always have been.
Frank Einstien
2004-03-05 17:25:52 UTC
Post by Gary Childs
There isn't more demand for the Residents. There's just a smaller supply of
Residents stuff. Devo was more mass produced.
That's true, but the Infinite Zero releases of certain albums, i.e.
Shout and Duty Now can be pretty hard to come by. Also, the Hardcore
and Mongloid Years discs are sometimes a pain in the ass to find. Even
though I have all of them, I'll probably pick any one of them up at a
used store for $10.
Gary Childs
2004-03-05 17:45:53 UTC
Infinite Zero releases of certain albums, i.e. Shout and Duty Now can be
pretty hard to come by.

Yeah, a few years back they were available, but now you have a tougher time
finding them since they went out-of-print. But, you can still get them for
under $30, because the print run wasn't at the level of a "limited edition".
Also, the Hardcore and Mongloid Years discs are sometimes a pain in the
ass to find.

It's funny how something can go from readily available to hard-to-find in a
couple of years.

The Residents DVD "Icky Flix" is already out-of-print! I remember someone
posting here that they didn't like it, and felt ripped off that they paid
$15 for it. Well, now you can sell it for a profit on eBay!

"They did a good job as good as they could as long as they could."

- Jerry Casale on The Residents
Ryan
2004-03-06 18:55:06 UTC
Post by Gary Childs
The Residents DVD "Icky Flix" is already out-of-print! I remember someone
posting here that they didn't like it, and felt ripped off that they paid
$15 for it. Well, now you can sell it for a profit on eBay!
"They did a good job as good as they could as long as they could."
- Jerry Casale on The Residents
Icky Flix shouldn't be out of print (sorry about the rez posts)
schwing on over to www.ralphamerica.com and try to pick up a copy.
They've just heavily been on back order. The last shipment ESD gave
them were all defective. (by the by, ESD is no longer making the
residents stuff :( ) but the new disfigured night is BEAUTIFUL, as
are the new shirts under prduction. Anywho, I can't say much more...
they're watching me...

Your eye-guy mole

Ryan
Gary Childs
2004-03-06 19:50:16 UTC
The only one available on Amazon.com is selling for $35.99
Frank Einstien
2004-03-07 03:45:42 UTC
Post by Gary Childs
Post by Ryan
Icky Flix shouldn't be out of print
The only one available on Amazon.com is selling for $35.99
Almost all of their CDs aren't available new on Amazon anymore either,
indicating an OOP status (which they essentially are for the time
being, with the ESD situation). Like Ryan said, head over to RA and
everything is easily and readily available.
Gary Childs
2004-03-07 07:04:51 UTC
head over to RA and everything is easily and readily available.
Except for all the limited edition stuff, which people battle for on eBay.
I've kind of lost interest in their recent material. I prefer the material
recorded before the death of Snakefinger.