Booji Boy's Basement makes it EVEN EASIER to get shows!
Reverend Beastly
2004-05-30 23:19:19 UTC
Every week a fresh DEVO show will be posted for free download through
Bit Torrent on the Sharing the Groove forum. Full details are here:
http://www.freewebs.com/boojiboysbasement/bittorrent.htm

-Alex Brunelle
co-founder, Booji Boy's Basement
http://www.boojiboysbasement.tk

P.S. (this was not in the Spud Talk post I made)
I know that there is debate over whether or not that the FLAC format is
the best way to go on these downloads because of their source, and I
agree with you. VBR MP3s would be just as good, probably even 192kbps,
but I want these shows out there as much as possible and right now, this
seems to be the easiest way to do it and I'm going to play by the rules
of the Sharing the Groove forum. Thanks for understanding.
JonYo
2004-05-31 02:06:06 UTC
Post by Reverend Beastly
Every week a fresh DEVO show will be posted for free download through
http://www.freewebs.com/boojiboysbasement/bittorrent.htm
-Alex Brunelle
co-founder, Booji Boy's Basement
http://www.boojiboysbasement.tk
P.S. (this was not in the Spud Talk post I made)
I know that there is debate over whether or not that the FLAC format is
the best way to go on these downloads because of their source, and I
agree with you. VBR MP3s would be just as good, probably even 192kbps,
but I want these shows out there as much as possible and right now, this
seems to be the easiest way to do it and I'm going to play by the rules
of the Sharing the Groove forum. Thanks for understanding.
I really hope that you don't decide to switch these posted shows to MP3
files. Two reasons:

1. When converting MP3 files to audio CDs, either directly or by
converting them to AIFf/WAV files first, there is always a nasty
"hiccup" where one track ends and the next begins. On a live recording
where there is no point of silence between tracks, these breaks really
mess up the continuity of the show for the listener.

2. We know these shows are often from funky audience recordings using
analog gear from a zillion years ago, so they're light years from "hi
fi". But, why make them worse? Why NOT try to maintain the quality of
the show as best we can? Of course, FLAC files will take a lot longer
to download than MP3 files, but is that so bad? We're not all trying to
download multiple shows every day are we? Most of us have at least
basic broadband, and for those still stuck with dial up, even
downloading MP3 files will be a monumental task. For me, the whole
point of Booji Boy's Basement is to preserve all this Devo material
that's spread amongst many people and in various formats and states of
decay. As the virtual curators of the Boouji Boy's Basement "museum o'
Devo", we've got the maintain the material as best possible and not cut
any corners.

- JonYo
Boom
2004-05-31 03:17:48 UTC
Post by JonYo
Post by Reverend Beastly
Every week a fresh DEVO show will be posted for free download through
http://www.freewebs.com/boojiboysbasement/bittorrent.htm
YAY! BTW, great job with the site. I was just going to write and
make a request to you for CD's, but now this will make it much easier
for us boot-hungry Devotees to get our share. Thanks a lot, Alex!
Post by JonYo
Post by Reverend Beastly
P.S. (this was not in the Spud Talk post I made)
I know that there is debate over whether or not that the FLAC format is
the best way to go on these downloads because of their source, and I
agree with you. VBR MP3s would be just as good, probably even 192kbps,
but I want these shows out there as much as possible and right now, this
seems to be the easiest way to do it and I'm going to play by the rules
of the Sharing the Groove forum. Thanks for understanding.
I really hope that you don't decide to switch these posted shows to MP3
1. When converting MP3 files to audio CDs, either directly or by
converting them to AIFf/WAV files first, there is always a nasty
"hiccup" where one track ends and the next begins. On a live recording
where there is no point of silence between tracks, these breaks really
mess up the continuity of the show for the listener.
I totally agree with that. You can edit those out of MP3's but then
you lose one generation of compression.
Post by JonYo
2. We know these shows are often from funky audience recordings using
analog gear from a zillion years ago, so they're light years from "hi
fi". But, why make them worse? Why NOT try to maintain the quality of
the show as best we can? Of course, FLAC files will take a lot longer
to download than MP3 files, but is that so bad? We're not all trying to
download multiple shows every day are we? Most of us have at least
basic broadband, and for those still stuck with dial up, even
downloading MP3 files will be a monumental task. For me, the whole
point of Booji Boy's Basement is to preserve all this Devo material
that's spread amongst many people and in various formats and states of
decay. As the virtual curators of the Boouji Boy's Basement "museum o'
Devo", we've got the maintain the material as best possible and not cut
any corners.
I don't disagree with that either. But I would add it might be a good
idea to post the best sounding shows first, like the FM broadcasts or
the soundboard recordings. Mainly for selfish reasons, but I'll be
happy to take whatever is offered ;)
Reverend Beastly
2004-05-31 03:26:07 UTC
I see your point, Jon, and I agree with you about the track splitting
and the preservation. For me, I don't have a problem downloading an FLAC
show that I really want, but I wouldn't mind downloading it as MP3.
Anyway, I'm thinking that in the following weeks, I will post the
best-sounding show from every tour (starting with Q/A thru Lolla) and
then start posting requests.

-Alex
j t
2004-06-16 02:30:27 UTC
Post by JonYo
Most of us have at least
basic broadband,
Provide figures and sources to support this statement, please.
Fran KpAn ucc I
2004-06-16 04:30:00 UTC
Most of us have at least basic broadband,
Provide figures and sources to support this statement, please.
Latest figures from various trade magazines show that around 42% of the
US internet audience has broadband. Give me a day or so and I can dig
the magazines with the charts off the chair in the living room...

This is way behind European adoption of broadband, and our speeds are
generally slower, too. Why? Who the fuk knows.

I may hazard a guess that the poster who asserted, "Most of us have at
least basic broadband" was under the impression that DEVO fans are, as
always, way out in front.

____________________
www.frankpanucci.com
"Jonathan" <@.>
2004-06-20 02:23:22 UTC
To all of you with broadband, I say a firm "pssh, well, yeah, whatever."
Dialup is hardcore.
Hard-CORE, I say!

-Jonathan
[...who used to have broadband,
and misses it like something that
misses something else a whole lot.]
www.frankpanucci.com
Fran KpAn ucc I
2004-06-20 04:40:26 UTC
Post by "Jonathan" <@.>
To all of you with broadband, I say a firm "pssh, well, yeah, whatever."
Dialup is hardcore.
Hard-CORE, I say!
Most definitely. Since I got broadband, I feel elevated, exalted,
godlike, even. The urge rises within me to use my telekinetic powers to
effortlessly journey for light years and consume the life force of
entire distant galaxies, provoking my fellow X-Men to follow and destroy
me at all costs, while my herald Norrin Radd, the SILVER SURFER, tries
to bird-dog Ben Grimm's blind girlfriend but fails because he can't
figure out how to release his weiner from his shiny metal shell. Serves
him right for being unfaithful to the memory of his betrothed, SHALLOW
BALLS.

Meanwhile, Tony Stark (IRON MAN) suffers in silence as his beloved,
Pepper Potts, is wooed by Hap Hogan, Stark's cauliflower-eared chauffer.
Such is the pain of a man of metal, his heart pierced by the Cong, his
love destroyed by the responsiblilities of being... IRON MAN.

Nick Fury is beyond such concerns, his continuity having been destroyed
by a whim of Howard Chaykin's. Are the HOWLING COMMANDOs still relevant
in a time when war is an obvious economic tool, when the ideals that
created CAPTAIN AMERICA, illusory though they were, have been shattered
by the antics of the current dynasty whose name we must not speak? Is
XEMO a terrorist? Would the glue that forever attached the mask to his
face also render him akin to Osama? Where is the seventh Sleeper? WHO
is Dormammu? Is Steven Strange beholden to Bill Frist, so that when
battling otherdimensional evils, he is not beset by frivolous
malpractice lawsuits, even though he drove a spike into a baby's head to
cure its whooping cough? What's so goddam great about babies anyway?

Don't get me started about Kree warrior Captain Marvel... THERE IS AN
ENTIRE COLONY OF MISTER MIND-STYLE WORMS HANGING IN A WRIGGLING BALL
OUTSIDE MY WINDOW RIGHT THIS INSTANT... C. C. Beck... Gene Colan... It's
all so incompatible...

Frank Giacoia was a pretty cool inker, though.

_______________
www.frankpanucci.com
Matt Duane Griffin
2004-06-20 12:39:24 UTC
I couldn't stand to have ny continuity whimsically destroyed by Maury
Chaykin. But hey! "to your journey!" or better yet...
"to MY journey!"
Gary Childs
2004-06-20 14:00:19 UTC
All we need now is a bonus pin-up from Jack (King) Kirby, a free membership
in FOOM, and a No-Prize from Stan (The Man) Lee. 'Nuff Said!
Bkstjohn
Gah. . . scary to find another DEVO fan who is as big a comics fan as I.
Fran KpAn ucc I
2004-06-25 17:20:04 UTC
Post by Bkstjohn
Gah. . . scary to find another DEVO fan who is as big a comics fan as I.
WAS a big comics fan. My continuity references are from very old
comics. Now I look over them at the newstand and it's too confusing.
There are multiple continuities?

Captain America and Iron Man are all different and messed up. The
FANTASTIC FOUR has been messed up. Younger people tell me I missed out
on a great story line that ran about twelve years in which Spiderman was
a clone and married Mary Jane and there was another Spiderman. And I
hear that, for a while, there were several Hulks, all different colors
with different personalities. And a comics review site says Dan Jurgens
was allowed to completely destroy the Metal Men continuity. And so on.

_______________
Frank•• Panucci
www.frankpanucci.com
Gary Childs
2004-06-25 21:01:44 UTC
Post by Fran KpAn ucc I
a great story line that ran about twelve years in which Spiderman was
a clone and married Mary Jane and there was another Spiderman.
That storyline claimed that although Spider-Man destroyed the Spider-Man
clone (introduced back in Amazing Spiderman #149 from 1975); the clone had
actually traded places with the real Spider-Man. In other words, Spider-Man
has really been a clone since these mid-1970's issues of Spider-Man.
Post by Fran KpAn ucc I
there were several Hulks, all different colors
with different personalities.
The Peter David written issues were really good. They created an intelligent
hulk, but his personality was different than Bruce Banner.
Post by Fran KpAn ucc I
Dan Jurgens
was allowed to completely destroy the Metal Men continuity.
I never followed Metal Men too much, but I can tell you that the continuity
of most comics is so far from the 1960's, and 1970's (or even the 1980's)
era that you'd probably be left scratching your head.

Michael Chiklis is supposed to play The Thing in the Fantastic Four movie.
Stiiv
2004-06-26 00:15:34 UTC
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:01:44 -0400, "Gary Childs"
Post by Gary Childs
Michael Chiklis is supposed to play The Thing in the Fantastic Four movie.
Well, now that John Belushi & Chris Farley are gone, Chiklis might be
a good choice.....can't wait to hear, "It's CLOBBERIN' time!"

Stiiv

http://www.stiiv.com
Stiiv
2004-06-26 00:14:08 UTC
Post by Fran KpAn ucc I
Post by Bkstjohn
Gah. . . scary to find another DEVO fan who is as big a comics fan as I.
WAS a big comics fan. My continuity references are from very old
comics. Now I look over them at the newstand and it's too confusing.
There are multiple continuities?
Tell me about your feelings on Jack Kirby.
Stiiv

http://www.stiiv.com
Gary Childs
2004-06-26 01:15:30 UTC
A genius.
Fran KpAn ucc I
2004-06-26 02:57:05 UTC
Post by Stiiv
Tell me about your feelings on Jack Kirby.
Stiiv
Jack used to take me to the basement, and, and, make me... do stuff.

Ha.

Kirby was a genious, half of the greatest team in comics. Almost all
the mythology of my childhood originated with Kirby. The
Kirby/Lee/Sinnott FANTASTIC FOURS were among the most powerful comics
ever produced. One of my favorite pics is of Kirby Posing with Frank
Zappa - I wish I could get an 8"X10" or larger version of it. My
favorite novel is Zelazny's LORD OF LIGHT, and when it was briefly in
preproduction as a movie way back when, Kirby was commissioned to design
it. It would have been the greatest movie ever. The illustrations were
published in a fanzine a few years ago. Kirby juice trickles to this
day through the animated properties of both Marvel and DC - the BATMAN
VERSUS THE DEMON episode, The mid-90s SUPERMAN series, that weird
SPIDERMAN VERSUS THE HIGH EVOLUTIONARY series, JUSTICE LEAGUE, all have
tons of Kirby characters and SUPERMAN even had a character based on
Kirby himself.

Kirby's rep is slightly marred by the work he did in his declining
years, and the stuff he wrote himself suffered from extremely odd style
of writing and weirdly emphasized words. So, uh, ignore that.

_______________
Frank•• Panucci
www.frankpanucci.com
Bkstjohn
2004-06-26 00:34:54 UTC
Post by Fran KpAn ucc I
There are multiple continuities?
Captain America and Iron Man are all different and messed up. The
FANTASTIC FOUR has been messed up. Younger people tell me I missed out
on a great story line that ran about twelve years in which Spiderman was
a clone and married Mary Jane and there was another Spiderman. And I
hear that, for a while, there were several Hulks, all different colors
with different personalities. And a comics review site says Dan Jurgens
was allowed to completely destroy the Metal Men continuity. And so on.
_______________
Frank•• Panucci
www.frankpanucci.com
Well - I have to agree that things got pretty messed up. The "Clone Saga" was
a real SNAFU. My personal opinion is that things around 1991-1996ish got
really very very bad.

However, there are some really fun comics to read out there right now:

1) Ultimate Spider-Man is great. Yes, it is an alternate continuity - but it
is very fun to read.

2) Daredevil has some really great moments.

3) JSA was exiting to read, although I have fallen behind.

4) Hal Jordan is supposedly coming back as Green Lantern. Now, that should be
fun to see!

5) I live for The Simpsons comics every month.

6) Common Grounds is this great comic set around a coffee shop - super heroes
and villains get together there and the stories are set around the coffee and
crullers. (very Devo. . )

Anyway - these are just my opinions. Your Mileage May Vary.

I will say I am wary that the X books (Uncanny X-Men and beyond) just had a
major relaunch with alternate covers, etc. Reminds me of the bad-old-days of
1993/4/5. For the record, Marvel did NOT relaunch Uncanny X-men, but the books
around it. I don't read those books anyway - too much of a committment is
required!

Brian

Brian St. John
Resident Conductor, Longmont Symphony Orchestra
"Jonathan" <@.>
2004-06-26 20:00:27 UTC
I now feel less hardcore, what with my hardly-as-great-as-you-all knowledge
of comics. All I've ever really followed is stuff by Sam Kieth [The Maxx and
Zero Girl and such], and even then I haven't read all of his stuff.
Mainstream superhero comics never did much for me. But then again, I never
read much of them.

Anyone have any recommendations of necessary comics?
[I'm told good things about The Sandman.]

-Jonathan
Bkstjohn
2004-06-27 18:49:57 UTC
Post by "Jonathan" <@.>
I now feel less hardcore, what with my hardly-as-great-as-you-all knowledge
of comics. All I've ever really followed is stuff by Sam Kieth [The Maxx and
Zero Girl and such], and even then I haven't read all of his stuff.
Mainstream superhero comics never did much for me. But then again, I never
read much of them.
Anyone have any recommendations of necessary comics?
[I'm told good things about The Sandman.]
-Jonathan
I could probably help you out with some ideas - are you into superhero-type
comics or a different genre?

Brian
Brian St. John
Resident Conductor, Longmont Symphony Orchestra
Music Director, Timberline Symphony Orchestra
Music Director, Longmont Youth Symphony
eBay ID balletcomposer
"Jonathan" <@.>
2004-06-27 20:44:50 UTC
Superhero comics are all right; I've read some very very early Spider-Man
issues..
I suppose I'm okay with superhero comics so long as they aren't too
formulaic, and actually have an interesting story to them. Granted, early
Spider-Man doesn't exactly fit that description, but I still enjoy it. So
yeah, they're fine with me.

Anything at all you'd recommend is welcome.

-Jonathan
eBay ID balletcomposer
Michael McDougall
2004-06-27 21:27:20 UTC
Post by "Jonathan" <@.>
Superhero comics are all right; I've read some very very early Spider-Man
issues..
I suppose I'm okay with superhero comics so long as they aren't too
formulaic, and actually have an interesting story to them. Granted, early
Spider-Man doesn't exactly fit that description, but I still enjoy it. So
yeah, they're fine with me.
Anything at all you'd recommend is welcome.
I'm not big into superhero comics, but I like Frank Miller's Batman and
Daredevil stuff. They aren't too hard to find in graphic novel form.

I've heard good things about Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run.

In general anything (superhero or otherwise) by those two authors is
worthwhile.

For more independant stuff, I like Jay Stephens and Paul Pope a lot.

Michael
Electro Robo Boogie Bot
2004-06-27 23:53:49 UTC
I was into comics about ten years ago. I still have a bunch from that period.
My favorites were Judge Dredd, all the Disney Comics such as Donald Duck,
Mickey Mouse etcetera, and Strontium Dog. You can probably get Judge Dredd
comics pretty cheap on eBay, if so I highly recommend them. They had some of
the most interesting stories I've ever read in my life. Another really good
comedy comic book I recall was Ralph Snart Adventures. Those were hilarious.
As for comics being sold currently, your guess is as good as mine?

"If you go down in the streets today, baby, you better open your eyes. Folk
down there really don't care, which way the pressure lies."

Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin

Michael McDougall
2004-05-31 04:30:31 UTC
Post by Reverend Beastly
I know that there is debate over whether or not that the FLAC format is
the best way to go on these downloads because of their source, and I
agree with you. VBR MP3s would be just as good, probably even 192kbps,
but I want these shows out there as much as possible and right now, this
seems to be the easiest way to do it and I'm going to play by the rules
of the Sharing the Groove forum. Thanks for understanding.
Ultimately I think both FLAC and MP3 (or whatever lossy compression)
should be available. FLAC for the nit-pickers, purists and people who
need the master copy for whatever reason. MP3 for the unwashed masses
(or maybe in this case, washed masses) who aren't into Sharing the
Groove or have bandwidth restrictions (for example, it would be nice to
listen to the show as it is downloaded, something much easier with an
mp3). The mp3s would be easier to host on a web site instead of using
BitTorrent.

However, if you gotta pick one format I think FLAC makes the most sense.

On an unrelated note, why are things like the Rugrats and Four Rooms
soundtracks included in Booji Boy's Basement? The commercial CDs are
available.

Michael
Boom
2004-05-31 04:42:54 UTC
Post by Michael McDougall
Ultimately I think both FLAC and MP3 (or whatever lossy compression)
should be available. FLAC for the nit-pickers, purists and people who
need the master copy for whatever reason. MP3 for the unwashed masses
(or maybe in this case, washed masses) who aren't into Sharing the
Groove or have bandwidth restrictions (for example, it would be nice to
listen to the show as it is downloaded, something much easier with an
mp3). The mp3s would be easier to host on a web site instead of using
BitTorrent.
Well if you want MP3's, I'm posting a couple boots I got today from
the Basement torrents that I converted to MP3 in
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.bootlegs . Hope that doesn't bother you,
Alex. They're good rips and I said where I got them from. Most will
be in 192K unless they're exceptionally good sounding.
Reverend Beastly
2004-05-31 05:52:02 UTC
Post by Boom
Well if you want MP3's, I'm posting a couple boots I got today from
the Basement torrents that I converted to MP3 in
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.bootlegs . Hope that doesn't bother you,
Alex. They're good rips and I said where I got them from. Most will
be in 192K unless they're exceptionally good sounding.
Fine by me. I made it available, do with it now what you will.

-Alex
Reverend Beastly
2004-05-31 05:53:21 UTC
Post by Michael McDougall
On an unrelated note, why are things like the Rugrats and Four Rooms
soundtracks included in Booji Boy's Basement? The commercial CDs are
available.
Michael
I am aware of this, but I'm almost positive that Mark will make no money
from the sale of those discs. If I am told otherwise, or if I am asked
to take them down by higher powers, they will immediately be taken down.

-Alex
Ted Kennedy
Flac sucks ass
NF