Billboard article on possible new album
J & S Nicholls
2005-08-18 00:11:18 UTC
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001016882
Rev. Richard Skull
2005-08-18 01:10:34 UTC
OK, this is to good to be true!

I'm sure they would not have a full tour to support it though.
J & S Nicholls
2005-08-18 01:16:14 UTC
Post by Rev. Richard Skull
OK, this is to good to be true!
I'm sure they would not have a full tour to support it though.
They'll come to Australia, I'll bet. They've got a butter ad to support
down here!
Todd Spango
2005-08-18 01:50:11 UTC
1.) Hope they've got some good ideas
2.) Hope they decide to rock.
3.) Does anybody have Alan's phone #?
Gary Childs
2005-08-18 03:51:41 UTC
Sorry Matt, I heard the new album is Disco! Disco! Disco!
JonYo
2005-08-18 04:24:03 UTC
Post by Gary Childs
Post by Todd Spango
1.) Hope they've got some good ideas
2.) Hope they decide to rock.
3.) Does anybody have Alan's phone #?
Sorry Matt, I heard the new album is Disco! Disco! Disco!
"I am a disco! I am a disco!"

Alan was great, sure, but if they actually made a new album, I think
sticking with Josh would be the way to go. He seems fully integrated
into Devo as far as being a live performance unit. Obviously, Alan
wouldn't come out of the woodwork and suddenly be back in the band, but
I think Josh is a better pick than, say, David Kendrick. Don't get me
wrong, I dug Kendrick and TotalDevo/SNM, I'm just saying that Josh seems
like a member of the band already, having played with them on all their
live gigs for quite some time now.

I'm just salivating at the thought of new Devo material...ooooo

I also really really want a legit release of that new Jerry-sung stuff
they've been playing before the recent gigs! (Mostly remakes of older
Devo tracks like Beehive, I Been Refused, I Need A Chick, Find Out, and
some possibly new stuff I didn't recognize, all exxxxxcellent.)

- JonYo
Boom
2005-08-18 05:59:49 UTC
Post by JonYo
Alan was great, sure, but if they actually made a new album, I think
sticking with Josh would be the way to go. He seems fully integrated
into Devo as far as being a live performance unit. Obviously, Alan
wouldn't come out of the woodwork and suddenly be back in the band, but
I think Josh is a better pick than, say, David Kendrick. Don't get me
wrong, I dug Kendrick and TotalDevo/SNM, I'm just saying that Josh seems
like a member of the band already, having played with them on all their
live gigs for quite some time now.
I agree. David is good but always seemed to me to be a drummer
looking for a gig and didn't care whether it was Devo or anyone else.
Josh actually seems to get the concept and does it for the love of the
music. But Josh is so busy that who knows if he can get time off to
do a Devo album proper. Hope Maynard won't want to do another APC
album at the same time.
Post by JonYo
I'm just salivating at the thought of new Devo material...ooooo
If "It's All Good" is any indication of what they can do, I will be
looking forward to it a great deal. I just hope they lose the disco
beats and make an album with lots of guitars like the old stuff.
Is it available in bootleg form yet?
Reverend Beastly
2005-08-18 07:25:36 UTC
JonYo
2005-08-18 10:54:10 UTC
Post by Reverend Beastly
Here's some information that I know that those posting in this thread
might find interesting.
1) David Kendrick has played on all studio DEVO tracks sincee 1988.
This would include "It's All Good", "Are You Ready", "Go Monkey Go",
etc. I learned this from David himself.
This actually surprises me. I had assumed that a lot of those newer
one-off songs like "Are You Ready?!" (I really like this track) and the
like were actually fully programmed drums, with no live drums at all.
Does this statement come across as a compliment or insult to David K?
I'm not sure!
Post by Reverend Beastly
2) David feels kind of slighted that he isn't regularly playing with
the DEVO live entity anymore (heard this from David as well), and the
reason for his not playing may be that the band doesn't think he
actually hits the skins hard enough (from a second-hand source).
That's a bummer, I didn't expect there to be any hard feelings about
stuff like that. Owell.
Post by Reverend Beastly
3) Alan HAS kind of come out of the woodwork in recent years, at least
in comparison to years past. He was interviewed for the DEVO book,
interviewed for a Japanese website
(http://ww1.tiki.ne.jp/%7Ethermo-pink/devoarch004.html) and even
attended the 8/7 Hollywood show. That last bit of information is based
on fan sightings. Apparently, he left soon after the performance was
over and did not speak with any of the band.
Huh, I guess he's not *totally* M.I.A then.
Post by Reverend Beastly
4) The stuff that's being played before every show are tracks from
Jerry's upcoming solo album, to be released under the moniker Jihad
Jerry & the Evil Doers. That should hit in October. In addition to the
songs already listed, "Fountain of Filth" and "Huboon Stomp" are also
on there, along with a slew of never-before-heard material. I also
heard a rumor that all the tracks will be released as MP3s (probably
pay-by-the-download) in weeks leading to the release of the album.
Can't wait can't wait can't wait!
Post by Reverend Beastly
Now it has been told.
Indeed it has.
Post by Reverend Beastly
-Alex
http://www.boojiboysbasement.com
Boom
2005-08-18 18:17:56 UTC
On 18 Aug 2005 00:25:36 -0700, "Reverend Beastly"
Post by Reverend Beastly
Here's some information that I know that those posting in this thread
might find interesting.
1) David Kendrick has played on all studio DEVO tracks sincee 1988.
This would include "It's All Good", "Are You Ready", "Go Monkey Go",
etc. I learned this from David himself.
2) David feels kind of slighted that he isn't regularly playing with
the DEVO live entity anymore (heard this from David as well), and the
reason for his not playing may be that the band doesn't think he
actually hits the skins hard enough (from a second-hand source).
No offense to David, but I kind of agree with that assessment. I also
think David simplifies the more complex stuff too much ("Satisfaction"
and "Jonee" are a couple good examples), and plays everything like a
typical rock drummer would. Plus you'd think by now that he'd speed
up "Gut Feeling" properly, but even on the Japan DVD he still plays it
too slow. David is a nice guy and a world class drummer with a lot on
the ball, but I never thought he was a good fit for Devo. Would I
work with him if he wanted to? Absolutely! But I'm not Devo. Well I
am, but not musically.
Post by Reverend Beastly
3) Alan HAS kind of come out of the woodwork in recent years, at least
in comparison to years past. He was interviewed for the DEVO book,
interviewed for a Japanese website
(http://ww1.tiki.ne.jp/%7Ethermo-pink/devoarch004.html) and even
attended the 8/7 Hollywood show. That last bit of information is based
on fan sightings. Apparently, he left soon after the performance was
over and did not speak with any of the band.
That's a shame. You'd think by now he could let it all go and at
least pop in and say hi, but I guess he really took it hard when Devo
went Linn-drum-crazy.
Thanks for the update, Alex!
f-erenc szabo
2005-09-11 23:45:53 UTC
Post by Boom
Post by Reverend Beastly
2) David feels kind of slighted that he isn't regularly playing with
the DEVO live entity anymore (heard this from David as well), and the
reason for his not playing may be that the band doesn't think he
actually hits the skins hard enough (from a second-hand source).
No offense to David, but I kind of agree with that assessment. I also
think David simplifies the more complex stuff too much ("Satisfaction"
and "Jonee" are a couple good examples), and plays everything like a
typical rock drummer would. Plus you'd think by now that he'd speed
up "Gut Feeling" properly, but even on the Japan DVD he still plays it
too slow. David is a nice guy and a world class drummer with a lot on
the ball, but I never thought he was a good fit for Devo. Would I
work with him if he wanted to? Absolutely! But I'm not Devo. Well I
am, but not musically.
Agreed 100%. It's sad because I think David is a really
cool guy who rather fits in with the whole image. But
his drumming is quite uninteresting compared to Alan's.
And he even managed to boil old Alan-Devo songs down to
more mundane versions as you mention above. I noticed
that bigtime in 1989 during a show they did in Detroit.

Josh certainly does the old songs way more justice, but
I haven't heard any Devo songs that where had a hand in
the recording process like David had with Total Devo and
Smooth Noodle Maps.

I'm also a drummer, and I certainly am influenced by Alan
(and Jet Black of the Stranglers and Keith Moon). In 1993
I got fired from a band because I wasn't rocky enough. The
subsequent drummer was vastly better than me (way louder and
he could do many technical thingamajigs I could barely).
However, all the new songs after I was gone (and even playing
the old songs created while I was in the band) became way
blander and lacked difference from one to the other. I tend
to treat every song as an island.... and create an idiosyncratic
drum part that's as different as the vocals or guitar part might
be from song to son. As a result each of our songs definitely
had a kind of "thing" going for it... maybe you can call it a "hook".
I've never taken drum lessons and I certainly would never make
it in a very commercial band, but there's one thing that Bob1(?)
said to Rod Rooter that has stuck in my mind since I was around 17
years old: "I guess we like ideas".

f-erenc
Boom
2005-09-12 04:47:49 UTC
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:45:53 -0400, f-erenc szabo
Post by f-erenc szabo
[...]
Wow, too bad you don't live in Orlando. I'm putting together a really
weird original project and I've been programming the drums so far but
I'd much rather have a good drummer to play the stuff. And I hate all
that technical crap like overly done double bass and hi-hat work
that's so common in rock these days.
r***@bellsouth.net
2005-08-18 19:15:14 UTC
Post by Reverend Beastly
3) Alan HAS kind of come out of the woodwork in recent years, at least
in comparison to years past. He was interviewed for the DEVO book,
interviewed for a Japanese website
(http://ww1.tiki.ne.jp/%7Ethermo-pink/devoarch004.html)
Cool, thanks for pointing that out. Ha! He's aged better than some of the
other band members have:

http://sound.jp/devo/alan200403.html

-Raul
zelig
2005-09-16 17:58:20 UTC
some good 1979 & 1980 photos of Devo in Japan from the site that Alex
referenced:

http://ww1.tiki.ne.jp/%7Ethermo-pink/devoarch005.html

Todd Spango
2005-08-18 17:15:18 UTC
Post by Gary Childs
Post by Todd Spango
1.) Hope they've got some good ideas
2.) Hope they decide to rock.
3.) Does anybody have Alan's phone #?
Sorry Matt, I heard the new album is Disco! Disco! Disco!
You listenin' to squastenk again? Disco is solely the realm of
American Idol & Britney these days -- as it should be. All Devo's fans
are alt-rockers (except me, the folkie Devo fan -- hee!), so I think
I'm safe in assuming they'll be kickin' out the jams old school...

I keep hopin' they decide they've got new things to add regarding the
current world-state, and I really like the name of Jerry's new thing,
as reported in this thread (via Beastly -- thanky, Rev!). I'm really
looking forward to that.
Gary Childs
2005-08-18 21:33:07 UTC
Post by Todd Spango
I really like the name of Jerry's new thing,
as reported in this thread (via Beastly -- thanky, Rev!). I'm really
looking forward to that.
The tracks I remember hearing were his new versions of "I've Been Refused",
and "Find Out".
He has female background singers on some songs.
I heard that Bob 1 plays guitar on some tracks.
Pink Pussycat
2005-08-18 23:32:17 UTC
Re: GVC's solo stuff... I heard him say it was coming out in September.

As much as I'd love a new Devo album, I'm not holding my breath.

~Pink